Oh yeah, I put cozy and dorm in the same sentence. I know it seems impossible for a college dorm room to be cozy, homie, comfortable, etc. but it’s not! This is what what my dorm room looks like:
Here are the little touches I added to make my dorm feel more like home:
- Stuffed Animals. That’s right, I brought all of my favorite stuffed animals from home. My ready bear I sleep with., my Olaf, Spot (a Dalmatian from when I was 2 who is not in the picture), and my dammit doll. My college actually included stuffed animals in their packing list which I thought was pretty neat.
- String Lights. I have christmas tree lights wrapped around my headboard at home and I couldn’t imagine not having them at school. UWGB has a tack strip that was at the perfect hight for me to hang the lights all around my bed. They give the place a cozy, magical feel and are great for when your roommate wants to go to bed but you still need some light.
- Wall Art. I’m not the kind of person to hang a ton of posters or those canvases with inspiring quotes, but I did have a few things that I wanted to hang up. In the picture you can see a few of them. Theirs a print of Thomas Kinkade’s painting of Magic Kingdome’s Main Street. I had the frame signed by all of the characters we meet the last time my family went on a Disney trip together. I also have a few dream catchers. The wooden one was made by my grandfather, and the red one was given to me by my best friend.
- Tapestries. Ok, this is one of my favorite things to decorate with. I’m always looking for new, interesting ones to add to my collection. In the picture you can see that I have a mandala tapestry. I ordered it from Urban Outfitters. I’m not sure they sell this one anymore, but you can find lots of similar ones here. The mandala one I have is HUGE. In the photo it is actually folded in half. It’s also made of a thick, durable material great for taking out to the beach and lying on the sand or out in the grass at a park. Thats what I used it for over the summer. I have a more decorative one in my bedroom at home made to look like the night sky. I’ve provided a link directly to this tapestry here.
- Your favorite blankets. Yeah, you’ll want to run out and but a twin extra long comforter, but don’t forget that fun, fuzzy blanket, or the tie blanket your aunt made you when you were 10 that you still love to this day. I chose to buy a plane black comforter for two reasons. 1. It was cheeper. 2. It allowed me to bring any and every throw blanket and pillar I wanted and I didn’t have to worry about patterns or colors clashing. My favorite blanket I brought is a knitted throw that was made by my great, great grandmother. It has a lot of sentimental value and it fits perfectly with my personal style. It’s a gradient of off white, pink, and maroon yarns.
This is how I made my dorm room feel more like home. I hope I gave you some ideas. How did you guys make your dorms feel more like home?